This is going to be a hard day for many people! But the challenge is not without it’s rewards! Today you are going to commit to taking COMPLETE responsibility for your own happiness!!! I bet some of you are almost laughing thinking, “Are you kidding? That’s it!” Well good, then you should welcome the challenge.
How relieved would you feel if you knew that no one, and I mean no one, could affect your happiness? Not your spouse, kids, parents, boss, no one! Just feel that for a minute…..doesn’t that feel nice? Don’t you almost feel lighter knowing that your happiness cannot be affected by other people?
Hmmm….well, it might be your lucky day. You see this is the deal, most people react to other people, you react to the way that they communicate with you with their tone of voice, facial expressions, etc. You react to situations that you are in, and your perspective, so today is the day to change all of that!
Here is what you are going to do:
1) Start your day sitting in a chair for 2 minutes or however long that you would like, and go to the end of the day in your imagination and just imagine that you had a wonderful day. Do not go over any details, just how you feel at the end of the day. Imagine that you feel lighter, and happy about the daily events.
2) Throw all of your expectations of what you want other people to do out the window. You cannot punish anyone, by anger, the silent treatment, etc., for not living up to the expectations that YOU set for them. This is waaaaaaay too common and something that I see a lot. It is just not your place, you definitely set yourself up for disappointment here, because the funny thing is, most of the time you do not even tell anyone what your expectations are! Hmmm...that is definitely setting someone up to fail!
3) Do not react negatively or respond in anger to anyone else having a bad day. Do not ALLOW them to affect your happiness. Even if you feel that it is directed at you. Who cares if they are unhappy, it’s not your problem… "Do not take someone else’s unhappiness personally.”
4) Do something that you enjoy today, not just what you feel like you “have” to do. In other words, let the dishes slide tonight, let someone else make dinner, watch a movie, eat out, take a nap.
5) Do not force yourself to do the things you hate and then resent doing it the whole time. If you are working at a job you hate….it’s not anyone else’s fault, you have free will, it’s a choice. So as long as you are staying at a job or doing laundry, shift your perspective and be happy that you have free will, that you are healthy, that you have laundry to do, etc. No one can force you to do something without your “free will consent!”
6) DO NOT engage in any drama and or judge anyone and their situation. This is about your happiness, not about how you can fix other people’s happiness!
7) Do not watch the news or read the newspaper. Those events are 98% negative and out of the realm of your control.
Good luck! Then on to Soul Nourishment Series, Day 4!